You have no clue how excited/nervous I am to meet you. I always knew we would meet one day, but I had no idea when I would be given such a blessing.
As you are preparing to make your debut, there are a few things I would like you to know and understand about the world and myself.
1. Don’t ever let anyone make you feel inadequate. In any capacity. Whether it be your beautiful coils or the chocolate tint of your skin. You are perfect. And I’m not just saying that because I’m your mom. Well…partially because I’m your mom but it’s still true.
2. Follow your dreams whole heartedly. If you’re anything like me, you will be so stubborn and set in your ways. I’m sure we will not always agree. But if you have a passion, don’t let anyone stop you. Not even me.
3. Speaking of fighting. Girl. Me and your grandma used to go AT IT! I think mostly because we’re both strong-willed. We will have our moments where we don’t see eye-to-eye. But always remember it is because I love you so much. And when you need to vent, call your grandma! My grandma is one of my best friends. I know you will get along with your grandma so perfectly. She already adores you!
4. Try not to sweat the small stuff. Whether it’s a boy/girl or a test for a class. True me, girl. When you hit your mid-twenties you won’t even remember half of the things you stressed about in grade school.
5. Understand your worth. In every relationship – platonic and romantic – don’t let anyone take advantage of you. If you don’t feel right about a situation, that’s your intuition talking. I can’t even begin to tell you all the times I’ve had to remove people from my life.
6. I’m not perfect. I will always try to make things look good on the outside for you because that’s my nature. It’s okay to call me out on my bullshit. But be gentle. I can be sensitive. I only want the best for you.
7. Have fun! Life is meant to be LIVED! Take a load off from time to time and live in the moment.
8. It’s okay to be emotional. Some people may say you’re “in your feelings” (if that’ll even be a saying when you’re older) but you’re human. You are supposed to have feelings!
9. Love yourself. Love everything about yourself. Take the time to learn you and fall in love with YOU.
10. Pray. A lot! God will never put you in a situation you can’t handle. Trust Him and build your relationship with Him.
I pray that you live a long, healthy, full life. And I pray to be here to witness as much of it as possible.
To my unborn daughter, I love you. And I’m ready to begin this journey with you.
See you soon beautiful!